Home > Missions > Factsheets > Fact Sheet Article View

Bookmark and Share Email Print

CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICTS: DE-AL

APPROPRIATION / PHASE: Operation & Maintenance, General

BUSINESS PROGRAM: Navigation

AUTHORITY: HD 52-112 in 1894, HD 70-15 in 1930 and HD 74-56 in 1935.

LOCATION: The National Harbor of Refuge Breakwater is located in Lewes Harbor off Cape Henlopen in Sussex County, Delaware.

DESCRIPTION: The Harbor of Refuge project provides for the stone breakwater, which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The Harbor of Refuge Lighthouse, an historic 1926 structure, is located on the south end of the National Harbor of Refuge Breakwater. The Corps of Engineers built two stone breakwaters in the 19th and early 20th centuries to create a safe refuge near the entrance to the Delaware Bay.  A lighthouse was built in 1926.  The Federal project was originally authorized to protect commercial navigation.  The navigation channel was authorized to provide deep draft landing for vessels such as tugs, and vessels carrying passengers and injured seafarers.  The lighthouse is still used as a navigation aid, and the breakwater provides protection for the Lewes shoreline.  The entire Harbor of Refuge complex is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  Cape May-Lewes Ferry vessels, commercial fishing boats, marine lubricant delivery vessels, Coast guard vessels, and recreational watercraft still actively seek shelter from bad weather at the Harbor of Refuge. 

PROJECT MANAGER:  Charlie Myers